Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

05-31-2009, 06:48 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Dodge Ball Champion
Stats: 658 posts since Jul 2008
I use a DVD duplicator to copy my DVDs for trades because it's faster than copying DVDs on my computer. Every once in a while, I get a disc that just won't copy for some reason. I've tried Nero, DVDFab 5, DVD Decrypter, and IsoPuzzle-17Beta but none of those programs will copy the disc. I usually get some kind of read error. Most of the original discs I have problems with play fine but they just won't copy. Can someone help me with this problem? I don't want any more wasted discs.
  05-31-2009, 07:23 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Re-copy those discs to Verbatim DVD-R in your computer -- your master is harder to read, and the drive demands it be read faster than is possible, and the duplication eventually gives up, coastering out the disc that was to be made.

From the sound of things, it might be your drives are weak or simply inferior. If it can play, but ISO Puzzle cannot extract at least 99% of the disc, then try a better drive. A Pioneer is what I suggest right now.
  05-31-2009, 08:01 PM
Verified Member

That's what I've been trying to do. I only use Verbatim 16x DVD-R discs. My DVD duplicator is a Pioneer. I was hoping someone could suggest a better program for me to copy the problem discs.
  05-31-2009, 08:35 PM

ISO Puzzle is about as good as it gets. If that doesn't work, it's purely a hardware or disc issue. Different software won't do anything.

Test the disc. What happens when you run a Nero DiscSpeed test for transfer (TRT), or a sector scan? (The newest version of DiscSpeed appears to be OptiDrive at http://www.cdspeed2000.com). I'm attaching original DiscSpeed if you want to use that instead.

See also http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...ia-id-393.html

Here...

Attached Files
File Type: rar DiscSpeed.rar (1.01 MB, 53 views)
  06-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Verified Member

When I tried ripping the disc with DVD Decrypter, I got this error message.

I tried running a Nero DiscSpeed test and I get this error.

I ran a file test and a surface scan on one of the discs using Nero ScanDisc and this is the result.

06-01-2009, 05:07 PM

Does this disc have a paper label on it, by chance?
  06-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Verified Member

No. It's labeled with a CD marker, like all of my TV show DVD-Rs.
  06-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Verified Member

Any suggestions on what I can do? I have 2 people waiting on the set with the discs I'm having trouble copying.
  06-02-2009, 03:43 PM

Your drive can't read the disc -- it's a drive issue. Replace it.
  06-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Verified Member

I've tried it on both my drives and the same problem happens. This problem doesn't happen with all my discs. Just a select few. I'm convinced that it's not a drive issue. I believe it's a disc issue. I've heard of other people having this same problem with certain discs.
  06-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Verified Member

I had the problem discs cleaned and buffed at a Family Video. I was worried that they might not do it since they are unofficial TV show DVD-Rs. Fortunately, they didn't care about that. Anyway, after the girl cleaned it, it didn't look much better than it was. She told me about a different Family Video that has a better machine and she didn't charge me. I took the discs to the other Family Video and the girl cleaned and buffed it a lot better. A couple discs had to be done twice but at least 2 of the 4 discs worked after that. I went back the next day with the 2 discs that still didn't work and had them run through the machine again. Now 3 out of the 4 discs work. The one disc is now a coaster (not literally). Only 1 episode on that disc will play. The set with the bad disc was taken off my list.