Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
This is different then the TV teaser

http://www.theshadowchronicles.com/t...easer&size=480

After re-reading the 5 issue mini-series this thing is going to rock
  01-29-2006, 03:58 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,457 posts since Jun 2005
This is news to me. So is tis a Sequal to the Robotech cartoon??

And as far as I can tell there are two or three Robotech sets out there. Which is best?? I started to collect the legacy three packs that contained two volumes and a extra DVD. Should I finnish that set or is there a better one out there before this one is released??

I need to get the mini series now heh

Brent

Use tinyurl its fun http://tinyurl.com/
  01-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Verified Member

There are 3 sets.

The Legacy set is the best one, original unedited as aired on TV in the 80's versions with specials. It is now out of print but is made up of 7 boxed sets, each on ebay or half.com for between $20-50 a piece. I checked and robotech.com has each available for around $35 so that would cost $245. Boxed Set 7 has two variations, one is gold and one is green, same content but the gold one is considered the "limited" edition, I bought that one because robotech.com was clearing it out lol

The Remastered collection is the the 85 episodes set without the extras in some cases, remastered in 5.1 sound with some edits here and there and some added scenes to mesh better with the upcoming series timeline. This version of the collection is considered a bastardization by many fans. It was mostly a double dip to get people to spend more money by claiming it was "remastered" and therefore better, this is the one sold in most stores which has a mini veritech toy and says REMASTERED on the DVD covers

The "Protoculture" collection is a new release and is merely the "remastered" set but with all the bonus discs the Legacy collection had combined in one big case for a lower price (around $85 for the whole series)

Shadow Chronicles (the new OVA and series) takes place right after the Robotech II Sentinels movie and Comic series, the 5 part mini series picks up after the last issue of the 90's Robotech Sentinels Comic series which was written by the Waltrip bros.
  01-29-2006, 04:23 PM

Verified Member

How many Robotech II: The Sentinals comics were publish and by what company I might have to try to track them down, along with the rest of the Legacy set, and the Shadow Chronicles. Is the OVA avalible on DVD or is it just a web clip??

Brent

01-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Verified Member

I will have to look and find my list. I used to talk with the 2 Waltrip brothers back in the 90's through the newsgroups and got them to autograph a bunch of my comics/art books and they even led me to some collectors who had the Harmony Gold Sentinels art cels from production. I was able to get an Admiral Rick Hunter one that is the jewel of my art cel collection

The comics were producted by an Independent company, not Marvel or DC (the new miniseries is being sold under Wildstorm aka DC Comics)

The OVA is not out yet, they are in post production and they are looking to sign with a distributor like Warner Bros or New Line to get the OVA in stores. The animated series will come either shortly after or a year or so later depending on how well the OVA does (because they need to find a network to pick it up)

The trailers are hitting now because the post production is winding up and Harmony Gold is hitting the anime conventions HEAVY in 2006 to promote it since they went to the great expense of regrouping the ENTIRE cast of the 80's show which are all now members of the Screen Actors Guild and have to have all those loopholes met (certain working hours, higher base pay, etc)
  01-29-2006, 04:43 PM

Verified Member

Why dont they sign with say the company that did the Lady Death animated movie their name slips my mind right now.

And is the independant company called Viz Comics?? I think they did some Robotech comics and were in Black and White. I think I even have of of the Robotech Sentinals comics i think it is book 2 #3 it is a green cover I think lol.

Brent

01-29-2006, 05:15 PM
Verified Member

Its not VIZ, this is EARLY 90's stuff and I dont think VIZ was as big as it is now. It was a mix between Academy Comics and Eternity Comics, it was 88-96 and Eternity turned into Malibu which you should know as ending up being bought by DC.

This is a rough list of all the titles making up the Sentinels story. When it says Book 1, etc those had a bunch of issues in them but were also released as trade paperbacks compiling all the issues (for instance one of them is 21 issues long)

Eternity / Malibu Comics (1988-94)
http://www.robotech.com/infopedia/bi...s/eternity.php

Academy Comics (1994-96)
http://www.robotech.com/infopedia/bi...es/academy.php
  01-29-2006, 05:44 PM

Verified Member

God if thats only a rough list I am in trouble lol. and is there a Robotech timeline to read all of these and watch the series?? Also was the Rick/Lisa Wedding ever released onto DVD, I think it was released on VHS.

Brent

01-29-2006, 06:26 PM
Verified Member

The wedding was released on VHS under Robotech The Sentinels and also comes included as a bonus on DVD in the Legacy collection in beautiful DVD quality.

The timeline I know is on the web, I will have to find a link. LS may be faster in locating it, but its a mix of the books and the comics, the new mini-series that just finished up takes the books, sentinels move, comics and 85 episode series all into account to try and mesh them all together.

As everyone knows the TV show and the Sentinels story took place at different times, Rick Hunter is gone at the end of the TV show and in the Sentinels movie we see what led up to his expedition in which he is missing. The comics told the story of that expedition and the new mini series ties up that expedition and gets Rick and Co on track to head back to Scott and co. Meanwhile Scott Bernard and the New Generation group had their own fight with the Invid to end up the show, the OVA will meet the 2 a few years after the last Robotech episode and Rick Hunter will return....it can be easily very confusing

01-29-2006, 10:25 PM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 648 posts since Jun 2005
Man, that trailer rocks!!! Cant wait to see this!!!
  01-30-2006, 04:39 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
It took me years to get all the comics. I have pretty much everything but the Comico run (which is just the cartoon in print format). Any Robotech fan should read them all. It helps you visualize the novels.

Another thing you should not miss art the 3 art books, especially Art Book III.

The Legacy collection is remastered and digitally restored cel by cel too. Don't think it's inferior in any way. HG was just double-dipping for the latter releases, as mark mentioned. They have actually triple or quadruple dipped in the past 5 years, with various sets released in stores.

I honestly prefer the Full Circle ending to the show, as written in the books and approved by Carl Macek many years ago. That was really his original storyline anyway. There were going to be three 85-episode shows, his trilogy. The first was Robotech, about Earth. The second was about the expedition to Tirol and surrounding worlds. The third series I believe was about the past, don't really remembers the details (it's in Art Book III, I tihnk), but it was supposed to end with Robotech episode #1 being the next episode in succession. It was a circular storyline that traversed tme and space. Rick Hunter and Lisa Hayes are essentially "lost" and never heard from again, and I think theyr are on the SDF-5 or SDF-6 at the time (last time I re-read the book was summer 2001).

This new Shadow Chronicles I plan to watch with the same excitement I give to elseworld style stories, like Age of Apocalypse was in X-MEN comics. Or the X-MEN Evolution universe. It's never going to be "real" but it'll be interesting all the same.

01-30-2006, 09:31 AM

Verified Member

ok so I skip Comicos stuff. but get the rest?? There are novels too?? Wow. I need to locate a list of everything lol.

Brent

01-30-2006, 10:11 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I highly suggest the novels. The novels provide far more detail to both the cartoons and the comics. They are written by a pair of writers under the pseudonym "Jack McKinney".

You can get them at any number of book stores. They've been around since the 1980s, and they have been reprinted a number of times to date. There are 21 books. Be sure you read them in story order, not novel release order. They did the original series and the Sentinels, then went back and did some stuff that took place between original/Sentinels.

Realize this advice comes from somebody who basically hates to read books.

01-30-2006, 10:27 AM

Verified Member

Cool I found 25 titles:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...rid=ye4XIYzC4G

Now I just have to locate the ones Barnes and Noble doesnt carry

Brent

01-30-2006, 10:34 AM
Verified Member

Go to robotech.com they have a bibliography of all comics/books. That will help you find what you need to get and then you can go to half.com or amazon or any other book place and order them

Also you may want to check out the Robotech Companion http://www.robotechcompanion.com/index.html

I am a die hard fan of the comic version of Sentinels (even more so after the new mini series brought some closure to what I thought would never be finished when the Academy Comics run of Sentinels stopped and the story went unfinished) so I will be more hyped about the OVA and the direction this sequel is going.

I could not let go of the Rick Hunter group of characters and do not like the way things worked out in the storyline LS is referring to so this is the change I have been wanting, even if it all ends up the same way I love the characters and am glad they did not radically depart from the past.

It will be interesting to see how the story actually evolves because you have to remember the OVA will start with the following (based on the prequel comic and previews), it could still very well turn out to be the novels animated (with a few tweaks here and there)
[*]Scott Bernard is getting ready to find Rick Hunter, since it picks up after Ep 85 we see him obviously leaving behind his lover[*]Rick Hunter has just taken out the Invid and is preparing the SDF-4 (or 3.5 because in the mini-series it is heavily damaged in a final fight with General Edwards and the Invid), Lisa has lost her baby due to the attack and now they are heading back towards Earth.

But like LS says make sure you get the 3rd art book, it contains Macek's original outline and notes.

This is a great read, it takes the comic series, ideas from the books and the prequel comic and compares notes in an attempt to figure out where things are going and what has changed

http://sdf5x.blogspot.com/2005/10/pr...onciles-1.html
  01-30-2006, 12:55 PM

Verified Member

Robotech seems a tad confusing lol. I will tackle it little by little lol.

Brent

01-30-2006, 02:12 PM
Verified Member

It is a lot to take in especially if you are trying to understand all 3 of the sagas along with what occurs outside the actual animated parts. What I recommend most people do who really want to get whats going on:
[*]Watch the Macross Saga[*]Watch the Sentinels movie (You can elect to do this or not now but it might help)[*]Watch the Southern Cross/Dana Saga[*]Watch the New Generation Saga[*]Read comics to get an idea of faces/mecha so when reading the novels you can place a name with a face[*]Then when done both the comics and the novel consult the art books and go online to look at timelines and discussions over the storylines. There is a LOT of good detailed info from the time of the newsgroups

But the most important part is to re-watch the 85 episode series, then take the comics and novel series slow, blow through them and you might not remember anything lol
  02-02-2006, 12:02 PM

Verified Member

Well I went to my local comic shop and happened to grab 1-3 and 5 of the Shadow Chronicles.

I think i will try Lone Star Comics for #4 Dont plan to read these anytime soon though heh

Brent

02-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Verified Member

yeah unless you read the previous comics/books you might be scratching your head about a lot of the characters and the events since the mini series picks up pretty much after the last issue of the old 96 comic line. Its not too difficult to explain whats going on but if you read the Academy run especially it will make more sense since you will understand what General Edwards has done and why they are hunting him down
  02-02-2006, 04:10 PM

Verified Member

Yeah I plan to track down alot of the comics, get the DVDs i need etc before I touch these heh.

Brent